   Re: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete (was Re: [xml-dev] Un-ask the question)

At 09:25 PM 8/2/2002 -0400, Jonathan Borden wrote:
>Such wordgames are never help  anything. That might just create the
>situation in which a URI that is a namespace name identifies a namespace,
>but also identifies _another_ unrelated resource. And suppose you were to
>use this 'string' (that really isn't a URI reference) _as_ a URI reference,
>and try to resolve it. What would happen? What if it resolved to a document
>that said <i>This isn't a namespace, ha ha!</p>

I was proposing last week that all namespace URIs must be URLs resolving to
porn sites, so maybe that's already starting to happen.  (Think of the
revenue possibilities for XML developers... no, don't.)

>The point is that URIs _are_ names, and if you intend to use a URI (or URI
>reference) as a name, you are in fact using the string that is a URI
>reference as a URI reference. Let's just call a URI reference a URI
>reference.

And what is the URI reference identifying?  What are we naming?  The
namespace?  Something else?  There's just too much goodness packed into
every URI reference.

Simon St.Laurent
"Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue