   Re: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete (was Re: [xml-dev] Un-ask the questio

Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Didier replies:
> I agree on that. To be sure that the namespace is self documented, W3C
> or the XML community should enforce that a URL is to be used as a
> namespace reference. This URL is pointing to a document providing
> information about the namespace. This is the first step toward
> transparency and inter-operability.

Excellent.

I think what is needed is some way to integrate the semantics associated
with a URI as provided by REST vs. that associated with RDF. Once that has
been done -- it hasn't yet -- we will have a real foundation for the
"Semantic Web".

In the meantime it might be confusing to people that there might be
_different ways_ to associate semantics with a URI. This is true. Given two
methods, they _might_ disagree. So it remains up to the "owner" of the URI
not to be contradictory. In any case if the owner of a URI is
contradictory -- by whatever mechanism or mechanisms the contradictions
arise -- we have no way to make sense of what such a URI "means".
Contradictions are logically false, and unresolved contradictions in the
meaning of a URI, means that the URI has no meaning. That might be true of a
namespace name, or a URI used to for any other purpose.

Jonathan