   RE: [xml-dev] Please no UOM (was Re: maps)

Hi Simon,

Simon said:
Attempts to solve UOM (you do mean units of measure, I hope?) globally
are
likely a horrible mistake. (Think WXS date/time types.)  However,
building
systems which make it possible to solve UOM locally makes a lot more
sense
to me than "well, it's an int, but who the hell knows how many of what
it
represents?"

Local representation for local information makes a lot more sense to me
than any effort to globalize the representation by converting everything
a common format.  People who insist on building centralized arbiters of
information probably think differently, but since I find the centralized

arbiter model repulsive in itself, I don't think it's particularly
interesting.  (Nor do I care what SAP and Baan and PeopleSoft find
convenient.)

Didier replies:
Just curious and wanting to understand your need.

Do you want to create a java type (i.e. class) to describe/manipulate
the geographic coordinates? So to speak, the element referring to the
geographical coordinate would map to a class. Is it your intent?

Cheers
Didier PH Martin