   RE: [xml-dev] Re: URIs, concrete (was Re: [xml-dev] Un-ask the qu estion

I have said, it is always dereferenceable, meaning, the syntax
alone is not enough to know what it means given that it is a
URI and a URL (it's overloaded).

Only the authority assigning meaning or identity
to it knows, so you have to ask the cat or trust the cat.  One
can always put the URzed into the address box and the system will
go looking for a hypermedia dispenser to ask.  Only a learned
convention teaches one to trust the cat.   In practical ways,
there is no difference between the URL and URI.  It's all word
games and to figure it out, one must know which word games
the cat is playing today.   The recourse to talking about
these strings as URIs is just a way of overloading it so
that "resources", the term, can itself become abstract,
and representations become the physical bits if any.

sign ->  signifier -> signified -> referents

That is the classic semiotic classifier chain.

What Tim is saying AFAICT is that a namespace name is:

1.  A name.  A sign.
2.  A string.  A signifier
3.  Signified.  You choose but don't tell.
4.  Referents.  Many choose.  This is a natural
    consequence of the fact that there can be many
    representations.  URIs don't identify one thing;
    they identify one node for inquiry.

The messiness in this is that the idea that dereferencing
is not necessary for disambiguation.   A namespace is
suppose to be the name; not an annotation to a name.  The
user sees the local part of the name and considers that
the name.  He is surprised to discover that without the
namespace value, the URI, he may be missing some part of
the intent because the dereferencing is optional.  For
predictable behavior (name or reference to further disambiguating
information), that is unreliable.  One has to inquire to
discover if inquiry yields further results (click the URI).
So again, we are back to asking the cat.

AFAICT, and I am not an RDF expert, the URI identifies a
resource uniquely.  What does RDF represent?  A concept?
Is a concept a unique resource?  I think that is messy.

All identity gets one is an assignment of uniqueness to
an object/entity/thing/whatever.  The problem of making
a URI equal a "word" is that words are neither unique
nor interpretable out of context.  Identification is
not classification.   You don't fire on acquisition of
a target.  You track and then fire when context provides
enough information to classify friend or foe; or you take
the risk and if you error, you get back an error message.
Depending on the system, that can mean as little as
mutting "awsh*t" or a lengthy investigation with letters
of regret.

len