   Re: [xml-dev] Iceberg development (was Re: [xml-dev] maps)

Jeff Lowery wrote:
> How about a hybrid system? It would include a set of universal types

At some point in late 1996, at an XML Working Group phone call, someone
piped up "er, shouldn't we do an API?"  James Clark said "that wouldn't
make any sense, there's no single API that's going to meet everyone's
needs for something as generic as XML."  Everyone said "OK, right".

Five years later I haven't seen any evidence to suggest that conclusion
was wrong.

Which is to say, there's nothing wrong with inventing new XML APIs, go
to it, just don't fool yourself that there's One True API out there
waiting to be found.  Presumably we can end up with a number of APIs
that is greater than one and smaller than the total number of
applications.  -Tim