   Re: [xml-dev] Iceberg development (was Re: [xml-dev] maps)

8/6/2002 1:06:54 PM, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com> wrote:

I believe Jeff was talking about schemas / type systems, not APIs ???

>At some point in late 1996, at an XML Working Group phone call, someone
>piped up "er, shouldn't we do an API?"  James Clark said "that wouldn't
>make any sense, there's no single API that's going to meet everyone's
>needs for something as generic as XML."  Everyone said "OK, right".

If only someone at the W3C had said "there's no single schema language or
set of primitive types that's going to meet everyone's needs" we wouldn't
be in this iceberg field now :~)

>Which is to say, there's nothing wrong with inventing new XML APIs, go
>to it, just don't fool yourself that there's One True API out there
>waiting to be found.

True of XML APIs, Schemas, and type systems!!!!!!!!!