   Re: [xml-dev] Reality check needed ....

Bill de hÓra wrote,
> What's really helpful is using a mouse click to open a file or
> a browser switching on the mime type; I don't need an extension to do
> that.

How does that help me on the command line? How do I do this,

  % find . -type f -name "*.java" -print

or, this in a makefile,

  clean:
      rm -Rf *.o *.class

Granted there are solutions, but they're likely to be *very* long term
(think of all the zillions of shell scripts and batch files out there).

I'd have slightly fewer objections to extensions being simply hidden in
graphical filesystem browers (so long as that behaviour was optional
and I could disable it) and no objections to having them mapped to MIME
types ... and that's actually what's done in most cases.

Cheers,

Miles