   RE: [xml-dev] Reality check needed ....

> On that view, all objects should be given completely
> arbitrary names (OIDs, e.g.) with no connection to human
> understanding at all, and defenders of this position are not
> lacking.  Me, I think it's just quirky that the 3rd St. Music
> School (in New York) is on 13th St.

And for that matter, it's quirky that a name beginning with "http" might
refer to an object that isn't accessible using HTTP.

I don't object to people being allowed to allocate names that mean
something to them (like "Michael"). I do object to rules that force you
to pack information into the components of a name: i.e. that blur the
distinction between a name and a descriptor.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com
work: Michael.Kay@softwareag.com