   Re: [xml-dev] Reality check needed ....

Alaric B. Snell wrote,
> On Wednesday 07 August 2002 15:00, Miles Sabin wrote:
> > How does that help me on the command line? How do I do this,
> >
> >   % find . -type f -name "*.java" -print
>
> That nearly answers itself :-)

OK, here's a better example. Suppose I have Foo.java and Foo.class in
the same directory (that's not unusual). The output of ls, looks like
this,

  % ls
  Foo.class  Foo.java

Simply removing the extensions would get you this,

  % ls
  Foo  Foo

which is unhelpful. So you'd probably have some reverse mapping from
MIME types to visible metadata, eg.,

  % ls
  Foo [application/octet-stream] Foo [text/plain]

Now this still isn't all that helpful, so we'd probably need some type
system that went a bit beyond MIME. We might end up with,

  % ls
  Foo [java-class] Foo [java-source]

And while we're at it, we might as well have shell globbing recognize
this syntax, ie.,

  % ls * [java-source]
  % ls Foo [*]
  % find -type f -name "* [java-source]" -print

And then, because we're conservative, we notice that if we jiggle the
syntax a little,

that we get back to something very familiar,

  % ls
  Foo.java-class  Foo.java-source

Can anyone tell me what's _really_ changed ;-)

Cheers,

Miles