   RE: [xml-dev] Deterministic content models???

The error message is correct.  If the parser encounters a DATA element,
using this content model it can't figure out what should come next - VIEW*
or VIEW+.  To fix the problem change the content model to:

<!ELEMENT SMARTDOC (HEADER, ((DATA, VIEW*) | VIEW+), SIGNATURES?)>

or even

<!ELEMENT SMARTDOC (HEADER, (DATA | VIEW), VIEW*, SIGNATURES?)>

both of which do what I think you want.

As others have pointed out, there is no problem with the original model you
posted.

Hope this helps,
David.

The information contained in this e-mail message, and any attachment thereto, is confidential and may not be disclosed without our express permission.  If you are not the intended recipient or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this message in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this message, or any attachment thereto, in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify us by telephone, fax or e-mail and delete the message and all of its attachments.  Thank you.

Every effort is made to keep our network free from viruses.  You should, however, review this e-mail message, as well as any attachment thereto, for viruses.  We take no responsibility and have no liability for any computer virus which may be transferred via this e-mail message.