   Re: [xml-dev] XML Schema - Enumerated List to Allow Blank Value

>><xs:simpleType name="myEnum">
>>    <xs:union>
>>        <xs:simpleType>
>>            <xs:restriction base="xs:NMTOKEN">
>>                <xs:enumeration value="A"/>
>>                <xs:enumeration value="B"/>
>>                <xs:enumeration value="C"/>
>>            </xs:restriction>
>>        </xs:simpleType>
>>        <xs:simpleType>
>>            <xs:restriction base="xs:string">
>>                <xs:enumeration value=""/>
>>            </xs:restriction>
>>        </xs:simpleType>
>>    </xs:union>
>></xs:simpleType>
>>

>Why is this preferred to the more direct:

I'm not sure. Since the original question was about restricting the
xs:NMTOKEN type I assumed there was an underlying reason for this
choice. However, after thinking about this I can't really see any reason
for deriving the enumeration from xs:NMTOKEN instead of directly from
xs:string as in your example.

Cheers,
/Eddie