   RE: [xml-dev] Multidimensional XML

I don't think it reasonable to approach XML For Analysis without some
background in OLAP, and OLAP isn't easy.   I don't know if that makes
XForA harder than other XML approaches to OLAP because I haven't
seen any.  The papers Fuller referenced included a slideshow
from Yannis Stavrakas

that was illuminating in that it extended XML DTDs to include keywords for
things like <!MULTIDIMENSIONAL.   That's a shocker to the XML 1.0
crowd.  The examples of how the author proposes to include dimensionality
into schemata/DTD are intrigueing.

I don't think of UBL as groundbreaking.  The concepts there have been
around for ages and ages.   I think of it as well-done craftwork with
a toleration for the tedium of negotiation in committee, admittedly,
rare skills.  In other words, crunching it down to spare structures,
but not having to innovate new concepts.  I could be wrong about that.
I don't pay a lot of attention to UBL because that part of my career
was over ten years ago, although, we would be very happy to see
crime syndicates using UBL. ;-)

Usually one sees OLAP where one has to data mine and analyze
large sets of context dependent information.   It is something I
wanted to bring up to the HumanML folks in the future as an
approach to some of the problems of semiotic sign systems.

Anyway, SVG looks daunting to some graphics artists, so I guess
preparation is everything.

len