   RE: [xml-dev] quarantining namespaces

Simon,

> Yep.  I don't think solutions will be forthcoming, hence the word
> "quarantine" in the subject line.  Some things are just too broken to
> fix.

One can certainly look into the archives to find support for whatever viewpoint one chooses, however I submit that XML Namespaces are no more 'broken' than the Web itself. Both are 'broken' and both are useful. Both raise questions and are food for debate.

> > The rot is in the URI.  It has to be solved there.
>
> Yes.

Well, URIs are an essential part of the Web as we know it, and the Web as practiced. You can call them 'rot' but rid yourselves of URIs and you've rid yourself of the Web as we know it today, for better or worse. Now, certainly there is work to be done to clarify how URIs are intended to be used, etc., but like it or not, if you want to deal with the Web (as I do) you need to deal with URIs. All so called issues with XML Namespaces are just issues with URIs in disguise.

Jonathan