   Re: [xml-dev] quarantining namespaces

Joe English wrote:

> UR*L*s are essential to the Web; URIs are not.

You cannot have metadata without identity and identifiers.

> I have yet to
> encounter a Web-based service that relies on the ability to
> Identify resources; all the useful ones just need to Locate them.

When you ask Google for a cached page, it is not looking up the page
(that's the whole point). It is using the URI as an identifier and
checking what information it has associated with that identifier. The
same goes for annotation tools like Third Voice and cacheing HTTP
proxies. As we move to formalize the metadata association process, these
issues will inevitably become central whether we choose not to discuss
them today or not. It is no coincidence that the people most interested
in these issues tend to be also interested in RDF and those who think we
can treat UR* as locators and no more tend to be the people who are not.
I have a lot of problems that demand metadata so I would like clear
answers sooner rather than later.
--
"When I walk on the floor for the final execution, I'll wear a denim
suit. I'll walk in there like Willie Nelson, John Wayne, Will Smith