   Re: [xml-dev] Comparable considered necessary

"Simon St.Laurent" wrote:

> Dare wrote:
> > URI:  Either of the above.
>
> Paul Prescod had an excellent slide in the REST presentation he gave at
> OSCON and Extreme Markup.  He asked what the Web would look like if it
> had been defined by vendors, and he suspected that it would have
> multiple addressing schemes - covering things like Lotus Notes,
> Blackbird, etc.
>
> He put forward the suggestion that the Web is superior because it has
> one approach to addressing: URIs.

The PowerPoint is here:

 * http://www.prescod.net/rest/soap_rest_short.ppt

The paper that addresses this issue is here:

  * http://www.prescod.net/rest/rest_vs_soap_overview/

The specific part on this issue of vendor goals at odds with
interoperability is here:

 * http://www.prescod.net/rest/rest_vs_soap_overview/#section_4.4

> I tend to look at URIs and see a unified syntax but far too many
> underlying schemes.  Slapping a label on a technology and calling it
> unified doesn't do much to genuinely unify it.

There are actually relatively few widely deployed URI schemes. Every day
there is a proposal for a new one but the HTTP transport truck just
keeps rolling over them. Some will see this as a bad thing but I see it
as the key thing that keeps the Web unified.
--
"When I walk on the floor for the final execution, I'll wear a denim
suit. I'll walk in there like Willie Nelson, John Wayne, Will Smith