len

From: Christopher R. Maden [mailto:crism@maden.org]

I think it's pretty clear that 1) (and 1a)) were
unworkable.  2) was really killed by politics, as best I can remember;
architectural forms were completely unviable in the W3C environment, and
once namespaces came along, it was pretty much a requirement to use
them.  Without attribute remapping, the options were 1) to trample on
users' naming freedom and reserve href across the board (which is still an
incomplete solution for HTML), or 3) to use namespace-reserved
attributes.  I continue to think that, given the political restrictions,
the XLink WG made the right decision.  2) would have been stronger, but AFs
just didn't make the political grade.