   Re: SLAIX (was: Can XLink be fixed)

John Cowan writes:
> I'd like to launch a discussion about solving the infoset
> serialization problem once and for all, for every kind of infoset.
> As a trial balloon, I propose SLAIX, which stands for "serializing in
> Layman normal form any infoset as XML."

Layman normal form?  As in Andrew Layman?  This certainly isn't meant
for the layman.

xmlns="http://www.w3.org/TR/xml-infoset";>
>   <document slaix:id="root" children="e1" document_element="e1"
> base_URI="..."/>
>   <element slaix:id="e1" local_name="book" children="e2 e3"
>       attributes="" namespace_attributes="" in-scope_namespaces="n1"
>       base_URI="..." parent="root"/>
>   <element slaix:id="e2" local_name="author" children="c1 c2 c3 c4 c5
> c6 c7 c8 c9 c10"
>       attributes="a1" namespace_attributes="" in-scope_namespaces="n1"
>       base_URI="..." parent="book"/>
>   <element slaix:id="e3" local_name="title" children="c11 c12 c13 c14
> c15 c16 c17"
>       attributes="" namespace_attributes="" in-scope_namespaces="n1"
>       base_URI="..." parent="root"/>
>   <attribute slaix:id="a1" local_name="sort"
> normalized_value="brownjohn"
>       specified="true" attribute_type="CDATA" owner_element="e2"/>
>   <namespace slaix:id="n1" prefix="xml"
>       namespace_name="http://www.w3.org/XML/1998/namespace"/>
>   <character slaix:id="c1" character_code="74"
> element_content_whitespace
>       = "false" parent="e2"/>
>   <!-- boring character elements omitted -->
> </slaix:slaix>

Sorry, John, but that's not only repulsive but it encourages the piling
on ever more crap into the infoset.  A more convincing Infoset
serialization for that document would look like:

   <book>
      <author sort="brownjohn">John Brown</author>
      <title>My Life</title>
   </book>

Or were you trying to make that point through blistering self-parody?
It's not April, so it's hard to tell.  But if you wanted rejection out
of hand followed by cackling hysterical laughter, you got it.

Yecch.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!