   Re: [xml-dev] Re: SLAIX (was: Can XLink be fixed)

John Cowan writes:
> > Or were you trying to make that point through blistering
self-parody?
> > It's not April, so it's hard to tell.  But if you wanted rejection
out
> > of hand followed by cackling hysterical laughter, you got it.
>
> Hey, you've been bitching about how the PSVI can't be serialized.  I
> gave you a universal serialization for *any* Infoset-like
> thingumabob. Terseness was of minimal importance.
>
> Wuddaya want, egg in your beer?

No, John.  I want formats that are actually useful, rather than
over-featured megaliths that address all questions by piling on
ridiculous internal links in forms which are hideously over-complex.

I've never claimed that the PSVI cannot be serialized.  I have claimed
repeatedly that it cannot be serialized in a useful or friendly manner
which is even vaguely compatible with most ordinary expectations for XML
1.0.

I think you've demonstrated that quite completely with this disgusting
mess, and left me wondering yet again why the Infoset was even vaguely a
good idea in the first place.

So thanks for adding a small dose of clarity about my priorities to my
life!  Maybe "serialization considered harmful" would be a good topic
for all future discussions of the value of markup.

Fortunately, my current reading of Norm's suggestion doesn't require
this kind of acrobatics.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!