   RE: [xml-dev] What the .... ? Referencing XSL stylesheets across domains

Of course, this extremely slow adoption rate of XHTML 1.0/1.1 won't stop the W3C from churning out even more standards. *cough* XHTML 2.0 *cough*

Sometimes it seems as if the W3C goes out of its way to be made irrelevant.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Didier PH Martin [mailto:martind@netfolder.com]
	Sent: Thu 8/15/2002 9:55 AM
	To: 'Bullard, Claude L (Len)'; 'Simon St.Laurent'; xml-dev@lists.xml.org
	Subject: RE: [xml-dev] What the .... ? Referencing XSL stylesheets across domains

	Hi Len

	Len said:
	No.   HTML legacy is.

	Didier replies:
	I agree. Add to this a lack of incentive to move to a multi-device
	rendering architecture. From our research we discovered that, most of
	the time, the same content is not published on different devices,
	instead, different content is published on different devices.

	 Even if MS Explorer can process, locally, decent stylesheets, the
	actual servers' infrastructure cannot leverage this feature by
	partitioning the transformation process between the server and the
	client.

	Conclusion: The web is still based on HTML and not yet on XML (with the
	exception of few successful XML publishing implementations). At Didier's
	labs, I let a robot run for several month in order to find published
	XHTML documents and guess what, I discovered only a few. When we compare
	the number of XHTML documents found to the size of the web we are
	talking here of the dimensions of a mountain ( a huge one)compared to
	the dimensions of an electron. So to speak, there's practically no XHTML
	documents on the web.

	Yep HTML is still the king of the web :-)

	Cheers
	Didier PH Martin