   RE: [xml-dev] What the .... ? Referencing XSL stylesheets across domains

Yes.  Most programmers prefer to bind to a code set
than to interpret a code set in terms of metalevel
constructs.   It is also market-savvy as Flash, PDF,
etc. demonstrate. How to know when this will be
done if you are procuring:  the CIO, CTO, lead
programmer will say  "we'll just send some XML"
and says nothing more than that, meaning they
have said next to nothing and you have just
left them to make all the decisions that lead
to lock-in or not.

It would be interesting to know what the statistics are
on features of HTML used for how many pages.  In other
words, how many pages are just posters (big scrolling
text and graphic blocks), how many are interactive
forms (real forms, submits, etc), how many include
object/applets, and so on.

A downtranslation to a gencode will always be the
easiest and fastest way to publish to the medium.
For that HTML is ideal as was the original gencode
set.  It is when one goes interactive that the
book metaphor starts to degrade although as you
say, HTML 3 to 4 is king and I suspect will be
for a long time to come for obvious reasons: the
80/20 thing.

len