   CSS processing (was Re: [xml-dev] Re: Can XLink be fixed?)

David Eisenberg writes:
> I think this is the same kind of problem I found when I was trying to
> convert some XHTML strict to XSL-FO.  The post is at

> (essentially, how do I map <p class="important warning">...</p> to an
> equivalent XSL-FO without parsing a stylesheet, or equally ugly, the
> class attribute.)

I was planning to write a series of programs that would parse the CSS,
then apply the properties from that CSS (per the selectors) to the XML
structures I've built in MOE.  (MOE lets you add any annotations you
like to any node of a document.)

Initially I was thinking of creating a class representing CSS properties
as annotations separate from the XML, but I think I'll take that a step
further and create a namespace-based mechanism for representing the
properties as attributes.

Once I've gotten that far, it should just be an XSLT transformation to
XSL-FO.

Selector processing is the hardest-looking part of it, and I suspect
I'll start with just a subset.

Just need to find time!
--
Simon St.Laurent