   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Can XLink be fixed?

Elliotte Rusty Harold writes:
> It absolutely does not, because this is application layer markup. The
> XLink syntax only defines the existence of a link between two
> resources, the meaning and behavior of that link is a question for
> the particular application and the local processing environment, and
> this is how it's intended to be.
>
> XLink cannot and should not attempt to define this. XHTML most
> certainly should define the meaning of links within its domain. And
> other applications will define the meaning and behavior of links
> within theirs.

I'm not sure what your conclusion is.  Are you saying that XHTML must
use XLink, and can then extend its meaning?  Or are you saying that
XHTML can define the meaning of links within its domain independently?

I think at least that it's clear that XLink by itself isn't enough, but
getting beyond that is more difficult.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!