   Re: [xml-dev] WXS acronym?

At 05:17 PM 8/16/2002 +0100, Henry S. Thompson wrote:
>Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com> writes:
>
> > Is there a reason for not calling this language W3C XML Schema
>. . .  the official name for the language . . .
>
>For my part, stop right there, and the answer is 'yes'.

I think your 'yes' means that we should call the language by its name, not
that there is a reason for not doing so, right?

> > or XSDL, the official . . . acronym for the language . . .?
>
>Um, I believe a _long_ time ago the W3C XML Schema WG decided it would
>prefer no acronym, and has accordingly never, to my knowledge, blessed
>_any_ acronym, including XSDL.  That (i.e. no acronym) still gets my
>vote.

XML Schema should probably remove references to XSDL from the W3C web site,
then. Do a google search for XSDL and you will see that the Formal
Description uses XSDL throughout, and there are references to XSDL on other
pages maintained by the Working Group.

But yes, I prefer no acronym.

Jonathan