   RE: [xml-dev] Hypertext and complexity (was RE: [xml-dev] XML, hypertext

Because it is a big leap, conceptually and functionally,
to say a link means "get me this file" to "send this
abstract name for an abstract resource to an unknown but
addressable proxy for that abstraction, and tell it that
what ever it means by that, keep it handy because I am
going to use that meaning in some meaningful way locally"
and that is as much as one can say by specification.

A semi-normalized relational database may be weaker than a fully
normalized one, but it has a consistent and fully spec'd
data model that makes addressing rational and reasonable.
That is why ASP/IIS/relational db of choice with ODBC
is still the dominant lifeform in this ecosphere.  As
XML specs have been produced to enable the XML representation
plus whatever data model is trendy to act as a proxy
to that, or in lieu of that, things have gotten complicated.

It's one thing to use a document as a serialized view of
the contents of a database.  It is very big leap to use
it AS the database.  Why did we need namespaces to begin
with?  Aggregates.  Why do we need aggregates?  Is it
because of the final rendering or because of the source
of each piece and where it originates?  Is that origin
in a different namespace (syntax collisions) or a
different semantic space (needs a different handler)?

The political complexities don't interest me a lot
except insofar as telling me how long it will take
the 1.25 available solutions to get sorted out.
The Hytime/DSSSL group could get to the bottom or
top of the conceptual ladder because they were a
small group talking among themselves mostly.  Dragging
the whole world wide weird and wonderful down that
path so that consensus emerges of common true
understanding takes a lot longer.   That at the
end, the solution will look a lot like what the
first group came up with, names changed, history
cheerfully revised and all that, well that is
the price of global consensus.

Walking on bones.... oh well... back to robbing
tombs for gold to keep the economy moving. :-)

len