   RE: [xml-dev] XML, hypertext

Not oddly, some of the first Hytime tutorials that
Neill Kipp and Steve Newcomb presented (and which
I have old paper copies of) took up exactly the
problem of the notation:  that is, when one is
addressing into a film or audio file, one is not
addressing into a markup so markup based addressing
even infoset is not sufficient.  The structures
aren't the same.   Each notational system needs
its own infoset and by some magic, these should
all be resolvable into a more abstract descriptive
information set, which is what a grove is as I
understand it:  nodes and properties, you get to
name the names.

It isn't that complex (except the names chosen
for the grove sets themselves); it is... abstract.

Hytime got lost in ... time.  I have some measure
of the fault there.  We were all musicians and
time means a lot to us. :-)

The speed of light as a constant separates the universe
into gulfs of information where evolution depends not
only on temporal proximity to the origin (the big bang)
but the limits on interactions (exchanges of taxons)
among non-near neighbors.  Intelligence only emerges
in a limited band of that space/time coordinate set.
The reason we haven't heard from the neighbors (alien
plots not withstanding) is that there are no
"ancient advanced civilazations".  We are all in about
the same phase of our intellectual evolution and the
universe as a whole has not reached the point of enabling
the locals to understand how to fold space and time
to resolve the distances.  We aren't mature and
we aren't capable.   But we will be.  What we will
use for money when we are will be fascinating to see.

len