   Do sheep dream of electric URLs?

The URI/URL discussion looks set to continue ad nauseum, and I suspect a lot
of folks on the list share concerns about (x)linking becoming a pig's ear,
which suggests there's something fundamental about these issues. Could it
perhaps be as related to human psychology as it is to the technology? So I
hope then it's not too off topic to ask : do other animals use references &
pointers ?

I remember reading a year or two back that dogs were very good at
recognising where their patron was looking (so they could do something
naughty elsewhere), and our elder cat is very good at letting it be known
that the food bowl is empty by means of directed running & mewling, so I
guess the location thing is pretty common. But how sophisticated does it
get? The TV-backed consensus reality tells me that 'higher' primates can
point - but can they express things symbolically in the way Aristotle & co.
discussed? I honestly don't mean this to sound cynical, but maybe more
on-topic, how sophisticated can humans handle?  - the http: prefix means I
have to fetch, right?

Apologies if it's not limerick week.

Cheers,