   Re: [xml-dev] WXS acronym?

From: "Jonathan Robie" <jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com>

> The name of Simon St. Laurent is Simon St.
> Laurent, not Fred Flintstone. As a former member of the W3C XML Schema
> Working Group, I had no idea what WXS meant the first time I encountered
> it.

Hmm, as a former member I knew exactly what it meant.  I think Eric van der Vlist
coined it. WXS is a strong enough technology to withstand a few barbs. And weak
enough (as it has turned out from all the implementation problems) that the XML
Schema and XQuery working groups shouldn't be surprised if XML people
(of all people!) are trained to suspect that smaller would be beautifuller.

It is ridiculous to expect that people won't make up a contraction if none is provided,
especially if the preferred form is regarded as squatting on a term that people find
more useful generically.

And see
http://www.analects-ink.com/mission/Confucius_Rectification.html

Cheers