   Re: [xml-dev] WXS acronym?

At 12:18 PM 8/16/2002 -0400, Fred Flintstone wrote:

>WXS is an abbreviation for W3C XML Schema that preserves the "W3C" part,
>thereby making clear that this "XML Schema" is a project of the W3C, not
>something intrinsic to XML itself.  WXS seems to make a lot of sense to
>people, especially once they've encountered alternatives to WXS.

The name of the language, W3C XML Schema, also preserves the "W3C" part.

In fact, this is one of few schema languages that *do* contain the name of
the organization that produced it. I don't think we should call RELAX NG
(Regular Language description for XML, Next Generation) MMAJCRELAX-NG to
reflect that fact that it was created by Makoto Murata and James Clark, or
ISORELAX-NG, or whatever, unless the RELAX NG people decide to rename it.

>I'm starting to apply the same terminology to XQuery - W3C XML Query is
>just one option among many.  It's not my problem that the W3C uses a
>naming scheme to effectively declare itself as the sole authority on
>these subjects.

The name of the language is XQuery. The W3C XML Query Working Group is the
group that created it.

Things have names. If you have political points to make, perhaps you could
make them *next* to the names of the things to which you refer, so that it
is clear what you are referring to? After all, nobody can use Google to
search the W3C web site and find the specs to which you refer by the names
you use.

Jonathan