   Re: [xml-dev] WXS acronym?

> At 12:18 PM 8/16/2002 -0400, Fred Flintstone wrote:

That's kind of a personal insult, Jonathan, don't you think?

I hereby retract my previous offer to write a tutorial for XQuery's
type-free subset.  I see no need to do you or your projects any favors.

> The name of the language, W3C XML Schema, also preserves the "W3C"
> part.

It doesn't say that at http://www.w3.org/TR/ , or in the documents
linked from that page.

> In fact, this is one of few schema languages that *do* contain the
> name of the organization that produced it.

Did we succeed in brainwashing you into believing that?

> I don't think we should call RELAX NG (Regular Language description
> for XML, Next Generation) MMAJCRELAX-NG to reflect that fact that it
> was created by Makoto Murata and James Clark, or ISORELAX-NG, or
> whatever, unless the RELAX NG people decide to rename it.

Regular Language Description for XML has a very different ring to it
than "XML Schema" in its scope.  On the other hand, we could pronounce
MMAJC as "Magic", which is an accurate description of my response to
RELAX NG after dealing with the decidedly non-magical world of WXS.

> The name of the language is XQuery. The W3C XML Query Working Group
> is the group that created it.
>
> Things have names. If you have political points to make, perhaps you
> could make them *next* to the names of the things to which you refer,
> so that it is clear what you are referring to? After all, nobody can
> use Google to search the W3C web site and find the specs to which you
> refer by the names you use.

I think I've made clear that the W3C is _already_ making political
points in its choice of nomenclature and that I find their monopoly on
it abominable.  I guess you enjoy it.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!