   Re: [xml-dev] linking, 80/20

At 12:30 AM +0200 8/18/02, Henrik Motakef wrote:

>Well, that would imply that recognizing links in an XHTML document
>requires processing its DTD (or whatever gets you a PSVI that adds
>default namespace declarations).

Not really. No browsers today bother to read the XHTML DTD anyway,
and I doubt any will in the future. They mostly recognize the public
ID for XHTML and then use that as a signal to use their internal
knowledge of what's in the XHTML DTD. In essence, they precache the
XHTML DTD. Thus it would know that the xlink prefix is mapped to the
xlink prefix (unless, perhaps, something in the instance document
overrode that.) In practice, I suspect a browser would just use the
xlink:href attributes to recognize links as today it uses src. href.
longdesc and so forth.

The downside to this is that since the namespace declaration is
hidden, many more developers would get the mistaken impression that
namespaces are just about prefixes.