   Re: [xml-dev] XLink olden days

"Thomas B. Passin" wrote:

> .... The problem
> is that most (maybe all) of these applications do not want ANY of the other
> capabilities of even a simple xlink href.  For example, in XTM you cannot
> use "role", "arcrole", "actuate", etc. attributes.

I disagree. The "role" of a topicRef could be
"http://www.topicmaps.org/xtm/1.0/topicRef";.
The "title" would be something human readable about the referenced
topic.
"arcrole" may not be useful.
"actuate" is an abomination.

> ... So you could say that
> these applications do not really use xlink at all except in name.

Using it "in name" is actually just fine. If a link-checking or
link-maintaining application can recognize XLinks in XTMs then something
useful has been accomplished.

--
"When I walk on the floor for the final execution, I'll wear a denim
suit. I'll walk in there like Willie Nelson, John Wayne, Will Smith