   Re: [xml-dev] XLink olden days

[Uche Ogbuji]

> So in the end, I think XLink's lack of baked-in semantics makes it perfect
for
> simple apps such as XHTML and more complex ones such as XTM and RDF.
>
> I think it's useful that any XLink-aware app would be able to make some
sense
> of XTM even without being a topic maps processor.  I'd like the same
benefit
> for RDF.

Actually, there is a conceptual problem in using xlink:href simple links in
applications like XTM, etc.  I think that xlink:href has been chosen in the
hopes that it will supply an "xml standard" pointing mechanism.  The problem
is that most (maybe all) of these applications do not want ANY of the other
capabilities of even a simple xlink href.  For example, in XTM you cannot
use "role", "arcrole", "actuate", etc. attributes.  So you could say that
these applications do not really use xlink at all except in name.

We need something with less, as Uche calls it, "baked-in semantics", for
these applications.  Sort of xlink-lite.

Cheers,

Tom P