   Re: [xml-dev] linking, 80/20

Jelks Cabaniss wrote:

> Paul Prescod wrote:
>
> > > Link harvesters shouldn't need a whole lot of training to
> > > figure out that "href==(xlink:href xlink:type='simple') in
> > > XHTML."   This is a pretty easy transformation.
> >
> > I think that there needs to be a way to make that
> > declaration out of line. Perhaps in something like CSS.
> > Perhaps in the schema. Perhaps in something new altogether.
>
> Perhaps in something like reading the link Arjun Ray provided here
> yesterday ...

>  ...particularly
>   http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200002/msg00609.html

That's not an *out-of-line* declaration. It is inline and intrusive for
many of the same reasons namespaces are intrusive. Archforms can be
moved out-of-line into #FIXED attributes in a DTD but that requires the
existence of a DTD which is not realistic in the modern world of XML
where people may want to use RELAX or W3C XML Schema.

--
"When I walk on the floor for the final execution, I'll wear a denim
suit. I'll walk in there like Willie Nelson, John Wayne, Will Smith