   RE: [xml-dev] linking, 80/20

Paul Prescod wrote:

> > > I think that there needs to be a way to make that
> > > declaration out of line. Perhaps in something like CSS.
> > > Perhaps in the schema. Perhaps in something new altogether.
> >
> > Perhaps in something like reading the link Arjun Ray provided
> > here yesterday ...
>
> >   http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200002/msg00609.html

> That's not an *out-of-line* declaration. It is inline and
> intrusive for many of the same reasons namespaces are
> intrusive.

You have to declare them *somewhere*.  I don't find a declaration at the
top "intrusive" like, say, colonized instances are.

Incidently, while searching the archives, I happened across the thread
"Mapping XHTML to XLink via Architectural Forms" from almost two years
ago ...

  http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200010/threads.html#00948

Amazing.

> Archforms can be moved out-of-line into #FIXED
> attributes in a DTD but that requires the existence of a DTD
> which is not realistic in the modern world of XML where
> people may want to use RELAX or W3C XML Schema.

If there were demand -- apparently there still isn't, despite the
never-ending namespace madness (see David Megginson's response in the
above thread, and note where his quoted XAF link now resolves) --
pertinent mechanisms could easily be put in place.  See ...

	http://home.ccil.org/~cowan/XML/afng.html

But back to XHTML and Xlink -- assuming XHTML doesn't completely do
away[1] with a DTD (no more  's, folks :), you could certainly do
as you describe for mapping 'href' to XLink.  An XHTML-aware UA wouldn't
*need* the DTD any more than current browsers need the DTD to figure
what an   is.

[1]  Yes, that's a big assumption.  Namespaces rulez.

/Jelks