   Re: [xml-dev] Acronym spaces, namespaces, and authority (was Re: [xml-de

Mike Champion <mc@xegesis.org> writes:

> 8/18/2002 3:38:14 AM, Francis Norton <francis@redrice.com> wrote:
>

> >>I just think the acronym space is too heavily populated for it to be
> >>much use outside of very focussed groups to use lots of acronyms.
> >>
> >That's a fair point in general, but I don't think it applies once you've
> >already associated acronyms to a language via file suffixes and
> >namespace prefixes.
>
> This is a profound little conundrum we find ourselves in!
>
> The idea of an authority such as Microsoft, or IANA, or "general
> consensus" associating file suffixes to a particular meaning is
> considered a violation of the principles of the Web by the
> W3C leadership, and the namespaces spec was designed to to
> prevent such a thing by forcing prefixes to be mapped onto URIs.
> (or "URI-syntax globally unique strings", I don't wanna go there).

Another good reason for not pretending to 'bless' acronyms.  I use xs:
and xsd: alternately as the namespace prefix for
http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema precisely for this reason, and
dislike the fact that I am pretty much stuck with .xsd as the file
suffix.

ht