   Re: [xml-dev] Saving XML Docs on web

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 03:29:49PM -0700, Karl Stubsjoen wrote:

> I am using an XML doc / server side to keep track of client app
> installations.  The client APP will update the server (via ASP code) at
> different times.
> Most of this is working perfect, but I have 2 concerns:
>
> 1)  if 2 people have the same XML doc open at the same time (or before any
> new saves), if clientA make changes then saves, and clienB does the same...
> what will prevent clientB from overwriting clientA's changes?

This question really has nothing to do with XML. If you don't have some
sort of document repository or version control system designed to
resolve such conflicts, then you need to write your ASP code to do so
... or take your chances. There's nothing XML-specific (or ASP- specific,
as far as I know) about enabling concurrent write access--except that
most programmer's version control products (CVS, ClearCase, etc.) are
not very good at resolving conflicts in XML documents.

By the way, what exactly do you mean by the statement that '2 people
have the same XML doc open at the same time'? If you mean that
literally--i.e., something like: a user opens a session over HTTP and,
when they request an XML document, the server opens a local file handle
and keeps it open for the life of the session--I think you're asking for
trouble. Or do you mean it in more of a metaphorical sense?

> 2)  when you use the Save method of the xml document, is it necessary
> to first delete the existing XML document that is out there?  I keep
> getting permission denied (Write access has been granted for the
> "everyone" account).

Umm ... last time I checked, XML documents didn't have methods. Are you
talking about a Save method on the MSXML COM object, perchance?

--
Matt Gushee
Englewood, Colorado, USA