   Re: [xml-dev] patterns vs. identifiers

[Simon St.Laurent]

> A table which contains cells is likely a formatting tool, while a table
> that specifies wood species and finish technique is likely furniture -
> and might even contain a table of the other kind listing the options
> available for that piece of furniture.

Well, you do want to remember that we have both computers and people
involved.  For people only, we want nice readable names and can make a lot
out of a little context - plus we understand about furniture when we see
"chair", etc.  For a computer, you just about need CycL to do anything
human-like with "chair", absent a schema-like something or other.

One way to see namespaces is as a single unified way to get something that
can be reasonably useful for both computers and people - identifiers that
are more or less human-readable.

> The code for this might not be easy, but I suspect it's well within the
> capabilities of XPath/XSLT, Schematron, or perhaps RELAX NG.
>
> I'm not certain that patterns alone are the answer to all problems.  On
> the other hand, I worry that identifiers are being offered as a solution
> that works formally, but is really painful in practice.

One of the pains is that things end up requiring both an identifier and a
readable label.  But is this really that much different from things needing
labels in different languages?  If I see a word in arabic, it is really hard
for me to read because I cannot distinguish the letters, let alone what they
group into.  If I see a chunk of RDF, I start to get lost in the URIs and
all the tags.  Is it much different?

Faced with the RDF, I want to use simple aliases so I can read it more
easily (as N3 tries to do).  Maybe this is a place for architectural forms
to bring simpification, or maybe a clever stylesheet would do the trick.

Cheers,

Tom P