   RE: [xml-dev] Shortcomings of Predicate Logic? (was RE: [xml-dev] RDF I

  • To: 'Mike Champion' <mc@xegesis.org>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Shortcomings of Predicate Logic? (was RE: [xml-dev] RDF Interpretation of XML documents )
  • From: "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 14:32:11 -0500

Here is one:

KMForum-KScience@yahoogroups.com

They don't take that up explicitly although one
should pay attention to the rants on reductionism.

Here is a quote from Don Mitchell:

"I'm attempting to approach knowledge science by first "red-shifting" the operating system.  That shift in systemic approach is first realized by conjectively shifting all data when received immediately into a convolution of the data against a sense-of-conjecture, and in so doing, literally create a scale of meaning along the one dimension of sense as a memory retrieval mechanism via ordinal position along this scale of sense.

This system (I call a Matrix [a multiplex of sense lines upon a multiplicity of sensed-data-streams]) is then able to approximate a fractal-slice of semantics (immediately by design) as an instance of multidimensional sense-axes, by determinate process upon the topological surface of multi-dimensional senses built by the event of recognizing data against multiple sense scales."

Tough sledding, but to understand and model how
humans do it, one has to first understand that
humans don't rely exclusively on logic, and probably
can't without enormous discipline because the
physical layer is paralogical and has to be
able to dominate given survival requirements
and other performance limited behaviors.

A friend of mine put it this way:  the reliance
on emotions and feelings at the layer of cognition
closest to real events saves a lot of CPU cycles.

len

From: Mike Champion [mailto:mc@xegesis.org]

8/20/2002 2:37:01 PM, "Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> wrote:

>BTW:  other lists take up the issues of shortcomings
>with the use of predicate logic for knowledge representation.
>I don't want to do that here.  I am only noting that
>for efforts that want to work with say, XML Schema or
>DTDs, this looks like a way to have one's cake and
>eat it too.

Any pointers to such discussions would be appreciated.
it seems relevant to discussions of the inter-relationships of
RDF and XML.