   namespace reprise

Just a classic moment from 1999 that we might all do well to remember:
There is a difference between easy and understandable.  I am one of the
folks that feels information management can always be made easier;
"Namespaces in XML" I feel makes things harder overall.

True genius is being able to make complex things simple so it is very
hard for me to understand how "Namespaces in XML" got to be the way it
is considering the editors and WG members are all well-respected,
intelligent people.  Sometimes smart people get lazy in trying to build
solutions that the next generation of programmers and developers can
first understand and then build upon.  I think that "Namespaces in XML"
totally ignores the very important goal of making XML an architecture
that the next generation can understand and build upon.

If there's anyone who doubts that we've been stuck in an endless circle
for years now, this is probably the classic vitriolic post.  No, I
didn't write it.  Tyler Baker did.

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/654680

Tyler is clearly smarter than I am, since he appears to have moved on.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone thinks there are aspects of Namespaces
in XML that have problems which we haven't discussed yet.  I suspect
that we've been over the minefield quite thoroughly.

(And yes, I've been revisiting the archives lately - differences in
perspective, and lacks of difference are pretty interesting.)

Simon St.Laurent - SSL is my TLA
http://simonstl.com may be my URI
http://monasticxml.org may be my ascetic URI
urn:oid:1.3.6.1.4.1.6320 is another possibility altogether