   Re: [xml-dev] namespace reprise

Julian Reschke wrote:

>>..the ability to combine the formal purposes of XML names and a location
>>for the vocabulary definition or other metadata source as a choice. Now
>>I'm forced to distinguish between a vocabulary, and an identifier for it
>>or other information about it etc.
>>

>Yes, and that's a good thing. There is no one-to-one relation between
>namespaces and schemas.

That's exactly the option I'm after: a one to one relationship between a
namespace and a schema, and a one to many relationship between a
document and scemas (through namespaces), meaning mixed documents.

>>Change your namespace URI to a URL. Do you think this presents a problem?
>>

>Yes. Because by doing that, you define a *new* vocabulary, and this change
>will break processing of "old" documents.

How will processing of old documents break? Those will continue to work
as they where designed to. The new one will work as the old one used to,
with the addition of validation abilities.

>>Right. But since that default namespace is declared in the source
>>document, it is accessible from your XSLT, so why isn't XSLT aware of it
>>though a function or something (e.g. default-ns)? I would also like that
>>to be dependent on context and the default namespace in scope, instead
>>of limited to the default namespace for the root..
>>

>Why would you *want* to know the default namespace? What would you use this
>information for?

I don't think a use case is needed; the default namespace is part of the
source document infoset and I should have access to it as such without
prior knowlwdge of it.

Manos