   RE: [xml-dev] namespace reprise

There isn't on in the general case. Consider XHTML.

> document and scemas (through namespaces), meaning mixed documents.

In the general case, it's many-to-many.

> >>Change your namespace URI to a URL. Do you think this presents
> a problem?
> >>

> >Yes. Because by doing that, you define a *new* vocabulary, and
> this change
> >will break processing of "old" documents.
> >

> How will processing of old documents break? Those will continue to work
> as they where designed to. The new one will work as the old one used to,
> with the addition of validation abilities.

Changing the namespace name means that no existing code will process these
documents, as it would be testing for the old namespace.

> >>Right. But since that default namespace is declared in the source
> >>document, it is accessible from your XSLT, so why isn't XSLT aware of it
> >>though a function or something (e.g. default-ns)? I would also like that
> >>to be dependent on context and the default namespace in scope, instead
> >>of limited to the default namespace for the root..
> >>

> >Why would you *want* to know the default namespace? What would
> you use this
> >information for?
> >

> I don't think a use case is needed; the default namespace is part of the
> source document infoset and I should have access to it as such without
> prior knowlwdge of it.

I'd expect that the default namespace for each of a document's elements is
available through the namespace axis. Did you try that?