   Re: [xml-dev] A multi-step approach on defining object-orientednatureof

John Cowan wrote:

> Joe English scripsit:
>
> >     * Do not use default namespace bindings
>
> But if only one namespace is involved, then making it the default namespace
> is not pernicious.

It still complicates things for applications, since
the default namespace is one more piece of information
they need to keep track of, the rules for reserializing
need to account for (the) default namespace, et cetera.

Besides, the property of only using one namespace is not
preserved under all operations: if you insert an element
or attribute from a new namespace, then what do you do
with the previously-defaulted element names?

(Actually, I would go one step further and argue that
any XML vocabulary which is not designed to be mixed
with elements from other vocabularies ought not to use
namespaces at all.  There are valid arguments against
this position, of course.)

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com