   Re: [xml-dev] namespace revise

Since there has been no consensus in 4 years from the technical
discussions, perhaps it may help to look at the namespace debate from a
different angle - namely, the way issues typically get resolved on XML Dev.

With most of the new recommendations, there is a fairly predictable
pattern. There will be an initial flurry, often based at least partly on
misunderstanding. The points will get worked through, and gradually
consensus will emerge. There may still be philosophical differences at
some level, but "the generally accepted way" will emerge. The issue goes
mostly cold, punctuated by new people asking mainly old questions - it
starts to take on the look of an FAQ issue. Discussion diminishes to a
minimum level, often with only the kindest souls taking time to explain
things that have been hashed over many times before.

The namespace debate has been different - it has never tailed off. Every
time someone new raises something, it's everyone in again, boots and
all. This issue has defied the trend like no other - even the raging
debate over whitespace had nothing like the legs that namespaces have
had. As the XML community gets larger, rather than one opinion or the
other gradually winning out, the numbers in both camps seem to be
growing. Surely this is symptomatic of some sort of chronic problem?

Dare Obasanjo wrote:

> I'd be more interested in someone who can point out the the difficulty
> caused by namespaces in XML that don't boil down to philosophical or
> aesthetic arguments.

So philosophical and aesthetic difficulties don't count? I'd be equally
  interested in someone who can make the philosophical and aesthetic
arguments go away. While they exist, it's fair to argue that everyone
new has difficulty with namespaces in XML.

--
Regards,

Marcus Carr                      email:  mcarr@allette.com.au
        - Einstein