   Re: [xml-dev] How to get realistic expectations for Namespaces (was Best

Jeff Rafter scripsit:

> My only question is,
> now that the DTD has been defined the need for namespaces is gone. To put it
> another way-- is there anything that Reuters Health consumers are doing with
> the data that actually requires namespaces.

I don't know what they are doing with the data.  For all I know, they are
running it through "grep", which is just what I do when classifying stories
against profiles (call me the Desperate Fgrep Hacker).

Any document that uses namespaces in a sane way does not *need* the prefix-URI
mapping, for there is a one-to-one relationship between prefixes and namespace
names in such a document.

--
"No, John.  I want formats that are actually       John Cowan
useful, rather than over-featured megaliths that   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan