   Re: [xml-dev] Detection of non-Unicode characters

Matt Gushee wrote:
> The main problem I found was that the Word documents are full of
> characters like 0x07, 0x2012-0x2019, and the like.
> P.S. Why are those punctuation symbols illegal in XML, anyway?

They are not illegal AFAIK. What probably happens is that they
are usually encoded in UTF-16 in Word files and when copied
through the clipboard. If the application which puts the
characters into the target file is not smart about converting
them to the the encoding declared for the file, and perhaps
writing them as character references, the XML parser will have
trouble reading them. Parsers are not required to deal with
unannounced changes in the character encoding of their input.

J.Pietschmann