   Re: [xml-dev] RDF Interpretation of XML documents (was Re: [xml-dev] pat

> 8/20/2002 10:31:47 AM, John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com> wrote:
>

> >If you change the id attribute to rdf:id, then this is also RDF.
> >Unless it contains mixed content, almost any reasonable XML document
> >has an RDF interpretation.
>
> An honest  question, not a troll: what can an RDF processor usefully
> do with such a document?

I made just a few more minor tweaks than John suggested, ending up with:

<book rdf:about="book_0805033106"
  xmlns:rdf='http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#'
  xmlns="http://peanuts.foo/";
  xml:base="http://peanuts.foo/";

  <isbn>0805033106</isbn>
  <title>Peanuts Every Sunday </title>
  <author rdf:resource="author_Charles-M.-Schulz"/>
  <character rdf:resource="character_Sally-Brown"/>
  <character rdf:resource="character_Snoopy"/>
  <character rdf:resource="character_Linus"/>
  <character rdf:resource="character_Lucy"/>
</book>

Still a lot shorter and readable than Eric's original example.

4RDF produces the following triples:

("http://peanuts.foo/book_0805033106";, "<rdf:type>",
"http://peanuts.foo/book";),("http://peanuts.foo/book_0805033106";,
"http://peanuts.foo/isbn";, "0805033106"),("http://peanuts.foo/book_0805033106";,
 "http://peanuts.foo/title";, "Peanuts Every Sunday "),
("http://peanuts.foo/book_0805033106";, "http://peanuts.foo/author";,
"http://peanuts.foo/author_Charles-M.-Schulz";),
("http://peanuts.foo/book_0805033106";, "http://peanuts.foo/character";,
"http://peanuts.foo/character_Sally-Brown";),
("http://peanuts.foo/book_0805033106";, "http://peanuts.foo/character";,
"http://peanuts.foo/character_Snoopy";),
("http://peanuts.foo/book_0805033106";, "http://peanuts.foo/character";,
"http://peanuts.foo/character_Linus";),
("http://peanuts.foo/book_0805033106";, "http://peanuts.foo/character";,
"http://peanuts.foo/character_Lucy";),

This looks like just the sort of thing I put to good use with RDF all the
time, so my question back to you is: what *can't* an RDF processor usefully
do with such a document?

I don't see anything about the document that restricts the possibilities.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC