   Re: [xml-dev] Architectural Forms (was Re: [xml-dev] XHTML 2.0 and the d

> Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> wrote:
> | [Arjun Ray:]
>
> |> This is qualitatively no different than an exchange like: "Why <FRAME>s?"
> |> "Because they're there".
> |
> | And why automobiles?  Because they're there.
>
> Actually, a closer analogy in that vein would be "Why anything besides the
> Model T"?
>
> | More rot.  Do you design your own programming languages just because none
> | of the ones you've used are thoretically perfect?
>
> Straw man.  Perfection is not at issue.
>
> | It is all a matter of economics.
>
> Indeed.  May I recommend to you Frederic Bastiat's classic essay:
>
>  http://www.freedomsnest.com/bastiat.html
>
> especially the parable of the broken window.  Mindspace is finite.

Yes.  I read this after it was cited in The Economist.

And?...

> | The fact that developers here have not, on the whole, clamored to develop
> | AFs for XML probably says a good deal about the fact that namespaces are
> | not as big a problem as you like to make them out to be.
>
> For one thing, AFs were explained to them.  For another, they were told to
> run with namespaces.  So they did.  W3C imprimatur was not on a technical
> document, but on a political one.

That might account for the W3C, but I am not talking about them.  I was
clearly talking about the developers on this list.  I don't think you can
write the lot of us off as political puppets, or things such as SAX, RDDL and
AFNG would never have emerged.

> | Any anyway, so why don't *you* lead the way and develop something so
> | superior that we'll have no chaoice but to drop everything and use it?
>
> I have no assurance that the mainstream finds interesting the problems I
> find interesting.  I build my own tools when I need them.  I may publish
> them some day.  -shrug-.

So we seem to come to the same conclusion here.  It so happens that I've been
thinking on hacking on AFs because I see a *political* problem of the HTML and
XLink WGs' making that causes the sort of itch I'm willing to scratch for no
expected remuneration.  The peevishness of my message is that you seemed to
imply that this particular developer list should be jumping to attention to
solve the problems you think are big ones.

Then again, based on your indirect comment on using XPath in AFs, I doubt
you'd like anything I come up with.  Oh well.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF - http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC