   Re: [xml-dev] patterns vs. identifiers

> 8/25/2002 9:32:54 PM, Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> wrote:
>

> >Identity in RDF is what the processing system makes of it.  Period.
> >
> >Paul is right: RDF is far more about patterns than it is identity.  We were
> >able to design a pattern-match-based language for RDF: Versa, with no
> >unnatural contortions.
>
> OK, that makes sense.  But why the years and years (literally!) of discussion
> about URIs, ostensibly in order to make them more suitable for the
> needs of RDF?

I think this is a distorted impression that comes from observing one sub-group
of RDF users.  Luckily nothing in RDF itself does anything to enshrine URI
schizophrenia.

> If RDF is a red herring in this discussion, so be it ... or if there is
> an interpretation of RDF that is agnostic to the agonizing about URIs, then
> clearly Simon's point about identities is irrelevant to it.  But if so,
> what's the big deal about whether URIs represent the identity of some abstraction
> or are merely keys to retrieve data somehow associated with the abstraction?

Well, I'm a hard-core RDF user, and I ask the same question.  My software does
not concern itself as to what URIs mean.  Luckily RDF specs do not require it
to.

I have seen these URI questions come up even when RDF was nowhere near the
picture, so again I think you came across a distorted impression (which seems
to be the same one Simon came across).

Track chair, XML/Web Services One Boston: http://www.xmlconference.com/
Basic XML and RDF techniques for knowledge management, Part 7 -
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think12.html
Keeping pace with James Clark - http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/libra
ry/x-jclark.html
Python and XML development using 4Suite, Part 3: 4RDF -
http://www-105.ibm.com/developerworks/education.nsf/xml-onlinecourse-bytitle/8A
1EA5A2CF4621C386256BBB006F4CEC