   Re: FW: [xml-dev] Renamer-att (was: Can XLink be fixed?)

"Keith W. Boone" <keith@woc.org> wrote:
| Arjun Ray writes:

|> why can't the mechanism be kept simple?

| Since none of use can backwards in time and change history, whatever
| solution you adopt that resolves the problem will build a dependency
| upon another specification.

This is a non sequitur.  Why should the passage of time necessitate
dependencies on other (newer?) specifications?   I sense a shibboleth.

| You are correct in pointing out the complexity of XPointer, with all
| of its support requirements.  However, the link() mapping scheme I
| described could be that simple, and if that is all you need, then
| let it be all that you implement.

You don't need to implement any of XPointer to solve the problem.  Maybe
XPointer is satisfyingly high-tech, and we have to impress the natives?

| The major benefit of what I proposed is that it fits within the current
| framework of W3C standards,

Only in the sense that it builds interdepedencies where none need exist,
and it perpetuates the poison of namespaces and colonified names.  None of
such folderol was ever necessary.

| It is no more than a hack on XLink, just as namespaces were a hack on XML,
| but it gets half the job done.

High-tech syntax to get half the job done?

| The other half is as you clearly pointed out:

|> [the need to declare namespaces]

| Now, I cannot seem to get rid of colonified names in the declaration subset

It's easy.

Consider the renamer-att proposal again.  There were two attributes
involved.  One was a control attribute (I called it 'foomap') with the map
information.  The other was the 'xmlmap' support attribute, whose value
consisted of paired tokens, a schematic name and a name of the associated
control attribute.  The schematic name was 'free': it could provide the
namespacing information directly.

  <!ATTLIST   img
              xmlmap   NMTOKENS   #FIXED   "xlink xlinkmap"
              xlink    CDATA      #FIXED   "http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";
              xlinkmap CDATA      #FIXED   "type foo href src"
              foo      NMTOKEN    #FIXED   "simple"
              src      CDATA      #REQUIRED

| It does introduce the possibility of further naming collisions, since the
| documents might already declare xlink: to be part of some other namespace,
| and thus the DTD subset changes would be a non-starter.

If you absolutely insist on finding colonified names *somewhere*, then
consider this:

  <!ATTLIST   img
              xmlmap   NMTOKENS   #FIXED   "quux  quuxmap"
              quux     CDATA      #FIXED   "http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink";
              quuxmap  CDATA      #FIXED   "xlink:type foo xlink:href src"
              foo      NMTOKEN    #FIXED   "simple"
              src      CDATA      #REQUIRED

Or should that be "quux:type foo quux:href src"?   That would depend on
how literally one takes 'xlink:'-prefixed names as *the* names of the
relevant attributes in the Xlink scheme.

The high-tech boys are gonna be disappointed.  No new syntax.  XML parsers
already know how to deal with NMTOKENS.   Wow.