   RE: [xml-dev] Linking global context

Hi Didier:

I was up at 3AM today to do a TV show at 5AM.  IOW, here at about
4PM, not enough neurons are still linking to do a reply justice to
your topics.  If this wanders more than usual, I plead exhaustion.

Does the linking process transform the element, or does the act
of navigating the associations transform the navigator (the
intelligent entity, the wetware)?   Whereas both are possible,
and while post-modernists say one cannot truly separate
the observer and observed, I still think it critical to do that.
Otherwise, transcendence of the navigator doesn't happen
and I believe it does.  Call that the faith position that if we
care to use it, free will does exist but that it is as in many
transactions, of value only when traded for consensus.

A language need not contain linking capabilities to be linked
to.  That is why independent links (aka, out of line) and the
separation of link and locator are fundamental now and were
part of Hytime.   Yes, in the sense that a standard system
for resolving links enables global sharing, it need not be
the same linking syntax as long as it meets the same
architecture.  This is also fundamental and a reason for
architectural forms.  That said, it is a lot more cost effective
to share the syntax so one might say this is a useful thing
to do.    But we should not confuse the system with the
knowledge, the container with the contained although
I believe it to be true that the evolution of these are linked
through use.   We may want to examine the nature of
this coupling and determine if the effects real or
imaginary, and how they scale across populations.

Anecdotal evidence may suggest for example, that
participation in lists such as these is raising the
knowledge values for both individuals and in groups,
and that the feedback by these entities into the
design of the system creates a power pattern or
amplification of the evolution.  Some see that as
the root cause of the Internet Time phenomenon,
but I don't see this as particular to time, or that
the link there is direct.

Intelligent linking suggests to me the emergence
of selectors over links and types of links.   As noted
elsewhere, there is a "subtle" preference to link to
clusters or attractors, but that is a weak description
of selection.   We must beware of superstitious
linking, or as I said elsewhere, the consensus
of the uniformed that emerges from the network
effect and actually retards the advancement of
the technology or the intelligent entity.   Devolution
may be as likely as evolution so I resist Panglossian
descriptions of the power of the web although I
am attracted to them.  Again, awareness of desire
is the key to transcendent potentials.  In the works
of Frost, "the road not taken" can make all the
difference.

We have to be aware of the localization of intelligence
and competence in the forms of network subcultures.
Think of a model of a n-dimensional space of topics
of attention in which only some subset of the available
topics can be attended, and the rest ignored.  What
we attend; we know.  What we don't attend may not
exist as far as development potential is concerned unless
there are hidden couplers.

I essentially agree with your positions and also believe
linking capability to be key.   I view the Xlink debate as
a symptom of localization in which a few members understand
n-way linking, understand why links and locators are
separate concerns, and assert that as the topic is discussed
more here, others will see that this is a convenient and
powerful way to describe many existing artifacts using a
different model; that is, first one should be able to essentially
swap functions for links and vice versa.   One should be
able to view a web as a recursive model.   One should begin
to understand the spatio-temporal issues of link emergence
so that link persistence shares many qualities of real time
systems with late binding, memory properties such that
topics can be discovered and forgotten, and so on.

That's enough for today.   I need to go.   Happy Labor
Day holiday to all of you in the US.   Happy weekend
to the rest.  May you be smarter and faster this time next
week, and richer by whatever measures you have for wealth.

len